Monday, September 26, 2016

A Great Week

At Piracicaba River Falls with Pres. & Sis. Bangerter a couple weeks ago
Oi-

Hope everyone has had a great week! First of all I send my condolences to Dad for the BYU loss! Tough year! I know he takes it hard! Haha Hope you still had a great trip to DC. It has been a busy week here. We have been working hard. I think I am officially no longer a night owl. When we get home we eat something and then most of the time go straight to sleep! We are usually down for the count! We have been trying to get to some of the outer lying areas a lot more. Our area is huge – 3 cities and riding the bus can be expensive so we do a lot of walking when we can. Last week though a member stopped by after going to São Carlos and brought us each a Big Mac! (There is a McDonald’s there I guess.) It was a great surprise! We inhaled them! We are working hard to get to know the members well and get them more involved with the missionary work. There are some super nice members here.

Elder Sander always working hard!

Out working in Santa Rita


Great surprise after a long day!

Elder Sander enjoying it!
So last week I did not end up going to Piracicaba – there was a change in plans and I stayed with Elder Rassmussen (a new American) in Pirassununga until our companions returned from Piracicaba. He is just out of the CTM for a week and I am kinda new still too so that was an experience! Haha. I practiced with him a little before we went out and answered some of his questions then we went to work! We made some contacts and he taught the first parts of the first lesson. He did great. It humbled me and made me think about all the people that were patient with me when I sincerely knew nothing. I am grateful for their patience then and now. I forgot to tell you that I ended up speaking on the fly at church a few weeks ago when someone did not show up. I think my Portuguese is pretty good for how long I have been out here but it was such a surprise I am not sure that it all came out the way it was supposed to. I think it went well but I am always thankful for kind and patient people!

Outer lying parts of our area

In some of our outer areas there are fruit trees everywhere
Wednesday we had Zone meeting. We learned about the importance of planning. We talked about how when we plan, we are not only planning with our companions but we are also planning with God for the day. Through our planning and prayers we open the door for Him to make opportunities for us. When we follow that plan, we will have opportunities, when we don’t; we will miss out on those things that He planned for us. It is like the blessings we can receive through the gospel. When we follow the prophet, follow the gospel principles/commandments, read and study the scriptures and say our prayers, we will receive a lot of great blessings that Heavenly Father has in store for us. But when we do not follow the plan and lack those things, we will miss out on all the great blessings and things He has planned for us.
In Piracicaba at the Falls

We taught Franciana again this week. Unfortunately most of her family has become a little indifferent with the lessons and are not as interested. So that is challenging but Franciana continues to invite us back and is excited about what we teach her. When we taught her this past week she marked a date for her baptism. She still has a lot of fear. She says she wants it but she is hesitant because it is a big change and she feels she is doing it alone because of how her family is now. It is tough when you are changing everything in your life and your family is not. We marked a date with her though (October 8th) and told her we would continue to teach and prepare her. She agreed, she knows it is true, it is just challenging for her to make this decision without the rest of her family. We will have to work hard and pray for her to feel the spirit as we teach. I know that as we teach her she will gain more and more strength and knowledge which will give her the confirmation that she is looking for. I am excited to see the spirit work with her as we teach her.

We had an interview in Leme this past week for a baptism the sisters were having. The sisters made some food for us at the church  since we had to travel there from Porto Ferreira. It was great to get to know them a little. They are pretty funny. There was this hat that had been left in the church, so they made us wear it in order to get our food. Got to do what you got to do right?  Haha.
Elder Sander rocking the hat!


Food was good... almost made it worth wearing the hat!

At the bus stop in Leme with the sisters
Elder Vieira sent an email to me with some pictures that he took before he left so I have included some of them. Also uploaded some pictures that I didn’t get uploaded when we went to hear Elder Anderson speak. Some are with Pres. and Sis. Bangerter and then a few are with the old zone and with Elder Vieira.
In Piracicaba to hear Elder Anderson speak a couple weeks ago
Got to go – we are having a churrasco today. Love you all and appreciate all you do to support me as I am serving the Lord and the people of Brasil. Have a great week.

Com Amor,
Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment