Monday, March 27, 2017

Power of the Priesthood





Part of the zone with Sis. Bangerter waiting for interviews.
Hey-
How is everyone? Everybody surviving March Madness? I heard there has been a lot of upsets - always interesting! I apologize I am going to have to make this one a short one. Lots going on. This past week was a crazy week. Been working hard in our area as well as trying to keep up with the district. Tuesday we were in Interlagos to work with the Sisters a little and do some interviews with some of the people they are teaching. It went well and it was good to see how they have applied the things we have been taught by President. We always have something new to learn or improve on so it is good to get a fresh perspective and learn from one another. Wednesday we had splits with our zone leaders and that was awesome. They are great missionaries and zone leaders too. I spent the day with Elder Costa. He is a great guy and I always learn something when I am with him that will help me be a better missionary. Also I forgot to tell you a couple weeks back they have asked me to start teaching an English class here in this area so we have been doing that too for the last month or so. That would probably make my English teachers laugh to know that I am teaching English! :) Had great English teachers but it was not one of my favorite subjects! haha Thursday we had interviews with President which is always an awesome experience. He is such an inspired man who does everything by the spirit. I know part of the reason I am here in this mission is because I needed to learn from him. Every time I talk to him, it reconfirms that to me. He is seriously the best mission president ever. After interviews we got to watch the movie "17 Miracles" with President at lunch time there at the church. Every time I watch that movie I have to hold back the emotion. haha But seriously we need to heed their examples of sacrifice, perseverance, charity, love, and DEFINITELY faith and humility in our lives. They totally, 100%, depended on the Lord and the Lord was with them in every moment. We need to learn from that example and remember that as long as we are doing the right things and following the right path, the Lord will bless us in our efforts. We also had the opportunity this past week on Saturday to visit some other investigators of the sisters in Hortolandia centro area. I had an interview with someone they are teaching. She was so ready to receive the gospel and has progressed a lot. We marked a date with her for baptism on the 8th of April and she is so excited! It is such a blessing to see the changes that people make in their lives for the gospel and it makes me so happy for them to follow the promptings of their hearts to follow what is right no matter how hard it is. Its truly is a blessing to see that and it strengthens my spirit and testimony EVERY TIME!

Dinner with the Dos Anjos Family.  Their last name means "from angels".  It is pretty appropriate!
Dos Anjos Familia showing their Missionary Spirit!

Ricardo and Charles from English Class
Waiting for interviews with President
With Elder Ferreira
With Elder Walton
In Interlagos to work with the Sisters and do interviews
On Friday I had the opportunity to give a blessing to some sisters. I am always humbled when I get that opportunity. So before and after that I have been thinking and studying about the priesthood and what a privilege and blessing it is. It also made me think about the responsibility and honor that we have to keep ourselves worthy in every moment in our life so we can use the power of the priesthood to bless other's lives. You never know when we will be called upon to use our priesthood. So I have been asking myself "Am I doing the things I need to to be worthy in that moment to use the priesthood which was given me to bless not only my family but the lives of others?" Pres. Nelson in General Conference last year said we can be given priesthood authority but we still have to do things to access the powers of heaven to have the power of the priesthood in our lives. He talked about things that can block the flow of power from heaven such as disobedience to commandments, pride, being overly concerned with the things of the world and then he talked about the things that open the heavens and give us power which are seeking the spirit constantly through the scriptures and prayer, worshiping God with all our heart, might mind, and strength and then also serving others. He compared it to the account in the Bible of Esau selling his birthright for a mess of pottage. He then asked do we not do that when we make the choices to not do the things we need to to access the powers of heaven. It was an awesome talk and great counsel. It was called The Price of Priesthood Power if you want to look it up on lds.org. It definitely strengthened my desire to not only always honor and live worthy of the priesthood I have been given but access all the power I can through through consistently making righteous choices.

I love you all. Hope you have a great week!
Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment