Monday, January 16, 2017

All is Possible!


With Pres. Bangerter, a man of great stature physically and spiritually!
Oi-
Man has this week been a lot of work! There have been a lot of thoughts/concerns flying around in my head and me wondering if we would get it all done. But we actually got everything done. When we got home at night we were drained. We hit our beds and we were asleep! haha.  But that is a good thing. There were 7 baptisms in our zone this week with 5 being in my district.  So a lot happened this week so here is the rundown.

Ana and Marcos is a family that we started teaching a couple weeks ago. Marcos is the son of a recent convert. We started teaching his family after we found their names in the area book and it has been going well. We taught the first two lessons and tomorrow we will visit them again and see how they feel after reading and praying these last few days. The two girls of the family have been going to church and they really like it. The whole family plans on going to church this Sunday. I am excited for the changes I see happening in their family.

EVERY afternoon during rainy season!
So Nelson is doing awesome! He is an older and a super spiritual guy that really does understand quickly what we are teaching. He loves the spirit he feels as he reads the scriptures. We taught him the first, second and third lesson and we invited him to be baptized. He accepted and we set the date of this Saturday the 21st. He has attended church the last couple weeks. He is definitely awesome. He really wants to know for himself. I am happy for him! Woo!

We also have two other investigators that are progressing well. I told you last week about the guy with the nickname of Cowboy and we also have Helen. I don’t think I told you about Helen before. She is also a great person who has been through a lot and is seeking to know the purpose of life. She is a single mother that lost her husband to an accident and she has two daughters that are pretty young. We have been teaching her and I can see the change in her and the strength the gospel gives her. She set a date for baptism too. We have definitely been blessed and love teaching these people that the Lord has prepared for us! One of the greatest blessings of the mission is to see people who have been struggling in life to find the answers they need and then they find them in the gospel of Jesus Christ. And then to see them change to become stronger, better people as they come to know the Lord. It is the best. I am loving the mission!! Cowboy is doing alright too. He travels a lot but we manage to get in one or two lessons every week. He is truly prepared. We have taught him quite a few lessons and he has been reading the scriptures. The only thing that he needs to do is pray about being baptized. He is a really busy guy but I have faith he will make time this week to pray.


So today is actually transfers, both my companion and I are staying. That will be awesome because this past transfer we have been working so hard to find those we are teaching and so this next 6 weeks will be the reaping the fruits and the teaching part which is awesome. We definitely are ready and super excited to work together for another transfer. Reminds me of sports. It is like when you have this really good friend and you practice the same sport together. When you play together you have this really good chemistry going. You know what you gotta do and when. Missionary work is kind of like that– team work with your companion – you start to think alike and sometimes know without speaking what the other is thinking or going to say. We are loving it and are working really well together so it will be great to be together another 6 weeks!

Sister Reis from our district who just finished her mission.

Activity to say goodbye to Sis. Reis
So this past week, we heard a little about a change that is coming out for missionaries. The Church gave us the news that our daily schedule and our p-day (preparation day) schedule will be changed a little. From what I understand there is not going to be specific times for language study, personal study, exercise, etc.. We will have a lot more flexibility in when we do things and how we do them. We still will be doing the things we have in our daily plan now but I think we will be given a block of time and we will determine how to use the time. I will give you guys a little more information after the 25th because that day we will have a mission-wide meeting and watch a worldwide broadcast of the Church explaining how it all will work out and what it really is. Anyway, it will be awesome I am sure!
Taking in the view from our roof on P -Day
As members of the church we have all read/heard 1 Nephi 3:7 many, many times. But it has such a great promise it is worthy of repeating. It says;
“And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.”
So this past week I actually shared this scripture with a lot of people who were facing a big challenge in their lives that they didn't think they could overcome. Some it was a job responsibility, others things at home or with family and some it was a calling at church. Believe me I have had those times too when I was thinking the same thing.” If I have been a missionary only 4-5 months and don’t even know Portuguese completely, how will I train my companion and help a district full of missionaries?” But Heavenly Father knows everything. He knows who you are. As INDIVIDUALS! He knows your skills and talents as well as your struggles. He knows our potential. Sometimes we think “I don’t know how to do this, how is this gonna be possible.” But through faith in the Lord and His plan, we can accomplish anything. If He sends something to us, a challenge, He will provide a way. He will be there to help us and we have our families & friends and church family to help us too. He will never give anything to us that we cannot complete! Just remember that. We just need to ask for guidance & strength, listen for the answers then focus and do! :)
I love you guys and hope everyone is doing well!

Um abraco,
Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment