Monday, December 12, 2016

Sound Understanding

Oi!

So this past week was crazy haha! I know I say that every week but every week is so busy. It is good to be busy though! I was transferred to Hortolândia Sião! (Sião means Zion in Portuguese). The missionaries have added Zion to the name because it is known as one of the best areas of the mission and it is pretty awesome! My area is Jardim Amanda in the Zone of Hortolândia. It is "da hora" (of the hour). Everyone talks highly of this zone and especially this area. It isn’t a really big area but it is a great area for the work. The members are the best and are always helping with missionary work. We have already received one or two good references just this week from members. When I got here the teaching pool was pretty small so we have a lot of work to do. But all is going well!

Like I said in my previous email my companion is Elder Vieira. I do have a few pictures of us but I am not going to have the time to get them on the computer so I will have to email them next week. He is good guy and has been out 6 weeks. I will be finishing his last six weeks of training. He is doing well and has a strong desire to work and learn. He is kind of a quiet guy. Coming from me that is a big statement, because I don’t talk very much either but compared to him I am talking all the time. haha. But I was the same way so I am sure once he is comfortable he will open up a little more. We get along well and I am excited to serve with him.

My district is awesome. In the district there are 8 sisters and 4 elders including my companion and I. We are one of the biggest districts in the mission with 12 people.haha We have a ton of sisters but they are the best! They are really good missionaries and are super funny, the elders too. I definitely was blessed with the best district in the mission which is good for my first time as a district leader! ;) But all is good! I am super excited! We had a district meeting this past week and my lesson/training went well! My Portuguese is pretty solid now!

Just a little bit about our area. So the house we live in is on the second and third floor above another house. They are two different houses with different entryways, ours just starts on the second floor. We have two bedrooms and two baths so it is one of the nicest houses in the mission. I think they used to have two companionships living here at one time. We sleep on the third floor which is great because we get a really good draft of air coming in so we don’t sweat to death at night. It has been insanely hot here lately. haha.

I am in Piracicaba today because we have leadership mtg tomorrow and then on Wednesday we have zone mtg and then Thursday we have a multi-zone mtg. So a lot of meetings this week but we are going to try to get some teaching in too. We have a couple baptisms coming up, Alex, a teen of 18 yrs old in the next week or so and then on Christmas Eve Tainara a girl of 23 yrs.

Something I have been thinking and studying about are the sons of Mosiah who served missions for 14 years and how when they met up with Alma again he was so excited because they “were still his brethren in the Lord” and that “they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth” (Alma 17:2). They had become men of “sound understanding” through righteous study and living thus they were able to become valuable instruments in the hands of the Lord to bring many to repentance. To all my missionary friends and those who are not full time missionaries too I hope that when we met again we will find that we are brethren/sisters that are strong in the ways of the Lord and have become men/women of sound understanding. I love you all. I am so thankful for my Savior and for this time I have to be a representative of Him and for the experiences that He blesses me with. May we all #lightheworld and do our part. Thank you all for your love and support.

Elder Davis



No comments:

Post a Comment